I’ve followed all the implementation steps in Brad Dalton’s excellent post at: http://wpsites.net/wordpress-plugin/the-best-wordpress-video-plugin-and-how-to-install-it-flowplayer/
This code gets generated: FCKFVWPFlowplayerPlaceholder
However after Updating and viewing page the player does not display, only the code.
Other background facts that may help solve this urgent problem:
1) Using Graphene theme, my hunch is there is something missing. Wouldn’t run 3 of the most popular video plugins either. Has to be something with the theme code?!
2) Checked with host, running PHP 5.3
3) Downloaded free version of Flash player for now. Would like to upgrade to commercial version for my other sites once I can prove this player is as good as its claims.
4) This initial try is on a static page.
5) Using Firefox
Thanks for any help you can provide!
yes there is definitely something wrong with your wordpress install. The placeholder that gets inserted there is not even the final Flowplayer shortcode, if I understand your description correctly, you don’t even see the popup where you write down the video path.
Are you using maybe some other editor for editing posts? If you do not use the default wp editor, you might have troubles inserting generated shortcodes properly. You can try switching to the default editor for a while, or you can try our editor Foliopress WYSIWYG.
Last thing you can try: What happens if you type in the shortcode manually? Just try to type the simplest version [flowplayer src='http://yourdomain.net/pathto/your/video.mp4'] of course replace the path with your real one please.
If you save the page and load it, does the video play?
Hi Zdenka, Thank you for your prompt reply!
* I don’t use any special editor, just what the Graphene Theme came with. I don’t think there’s anything special editing wise that came when I installed that theme.
* I reviewed the Folio editor and looks like a great tool to use. Perhaps I should wait on adding yet another variable until we prove out it’s not something with the Graphene theme?
* To clarify, when I click on the red F icon, I do get the pop up box per the instructions and inserted the URL’s on my host server for both the mp4 video link and the thumbnail. both were set for the same exact size, fyi.
* I replaced the code that was generated with the manual code format you suggested. After saving the page and viewing it a black box of the approx. dimensions appeared. However, there was no player. Also when I hover my mouse over the black box there was no link showing in the lower left tray like there is for other library images on a page, fyi.
Much appreciate your expertise and guidance on what my next step should be.
In double checking everything AGAIN,
I went back and looked at each character and realized I missed the closing ‘ in your manual string. Inserted that and IT WORKS!
THANK YOU THANK YOU! This will help me get the campaign launch deadline today met.
I still would like to get the player to work using the convenient plugin variables tool. Also, How do I put a thumbnail image and play arrow to show doing the manual method? This second question is the most urgent for the moment.
I feel comfortable trying your new editor tool now. Do you think that’s OK to do now or should I wait for a better fix to try first?
Thanks again. You won’t believe how much your timely reply has helped the cause!
Look forward to your advice,
I was experimenting with the settings of the Flowplayer for this short term fix to get the video player sized properly and the thumbnail image overlay.
I’m trying 640 x 480.
In reviewing the Settings footnotes I tried this manual code:
[flowplayer src='http://membership-smart.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Membership-Managers-on-Main-Street-3-min-Intro.mp4' 'splash=http://membership-smart.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/dennis-raup-membership-intro-thumbnail.jpg']
The video plays.
No thumbnail image.
Black bars on the side need to be eliminated.
I lost my aspect ratio, everything especially faces are too narrow.
What should I reset the default settings to until we get the player user interface working again?
FYI, the video was done in Camtasia Studio with recommended Youtube/HD settings at 1280 x 720. However, at this step on a web page post this would be too large of a player view.
Camtasia recommends 640 x 480 for a web placed view.
Now that I’m presenting through the Flowplayer on my site (I understand now the many advantages to this) rather than sending folks to my Youtube channel site, should I render the video file again and instead do it with the 640 x 480 setting?
I would then repeat the manual procedure code above to upload to my library. I also know now how to resize the thumbnail and re insert that in the library.
Let me know the correct manual code for including the splash and the proper size settings and that will allow me to meet the immediate deadline.
Of course when you have a solution for the player short code generator I would be grateful
I reformatted my video and thumbnail to 640 x 400 and reloaded to Media Directory.
I installed the WYSIWYG Foliopress Editor.
It Generated the long Code and works as an imbedded video file!!
Your advice worked! Thank you. So somewhere there is a conflict with the WP/Graphene theme editor and the Flashplayer plugin for future reference.
However, there are additional problems:
1) there is a large unwanted vertical black border on each side of the video. the image is fine, no border. . All Settings/Media and video dimensions production on Camtasia Studio are set to 640 x 400.
How do I eliminate the black border?
2) The top of the editor has bugs and unsure how to proceed in finalizing the page layout.
I’ve read the user’s guide I found to see what is supposed to be there.
a) Under Format the only option showing is “center image” No other choices for paragraph, headers, etc. show up. I can’t edit anything without it.
b) Not sure where to left, center or right justify text or image? My hunch is this should show up under Format.
So with the default WordPress editor I couldn’t get the Flowplayer but I could edit. Now with the Foliopress editor I can get the much needed Flowplayer working but not the text/image layout editor. Yikes!
It looks like a real great tool and would love to get it working. Please advise asap.
p.s. The edit window is small. I found the large screen editing panel. Much easier to work with! However, there is no access to the tool bar. Also how do you save and go back to the normal edit window?
Again using Graphene theme, Firefox. I look forward to your response asap.
I’m sorry I was away yesterday, but seems you got most problems sorted!
Going back in your comments, when you typed in the shortcode manually, the splashimage did not show as you inserted the ‘ at the wrong place – you had ‘splash=… it should be splash=’…
If you want to insert width and height, just type width=640 height=480 into the shortcode, or use whatever dimensions that fits you most.
I’m not sure if I can give you the advice regarding the proper size of video that you should use, this very much depends on the content, and what do you present in that video. Of course the best way would be to have the video coded in the dimensions you want to use on the site. Also remember to keep the aspect ratio of the original video.
The borders you are talking about are probable caused by that aspect ratio, try to set the width and height into the shortcode, if this matches the real dimesions of the video file, then the borders should not be there.
For WYSIWYG questions, please use the corresponding support forum here, maybe you’ll be able to find your answers there, if not ask, surely Martin will give you an advice.