When casting a video to Chromecast, the subtitles do not show on the screen to which the video is casted. I saw on this page ( https://foliovision.com/player/advanced/chromecast ) that you are working to fix this, and was wondering what the current status for that fix is. Is there anything we can do for example in the structure of the subtitle file itself or…?
Looking forward hearing from you on this one.
please reinstall FV Player from https://github.com/foliovision/fv-wordpress-flowplayer/archive/master.zip and get a fresh FV Player Pro ZIP file from https://foliovision.com/my-licenses and the subtitles in Chromecast should be working for you.
You can also test here: https://foliovision.com/ (Vimeo video with multiple subtitle tracks)
Thanks a lot for this update and my apologies for the late response. I have been able to update to the latest versions, but no subtitle has showed up since. I think it’s due to my subtitle file missing the CORS specifications you mentioned. I am now using this .srt file, on https:
What do you mean by CORS headers, and how can I make sure the real subs will be having those? I tried to Google this question, but can’t figure it out yet.
Looking forward hearing from you.
do the subtitles show up when playing on the website? They should as the website is probably running on https://kickstart.thelastreformation.com so it’s the same domain and same protocol (https).
The CORS is required by Google Chromecast. Does your website use .htaccess configuration file? If so, you can get the CORS headers up for VTT and SRT files by adding the following lines into it:
<IfModule mod_headers.c> <FilesMatch "\.(vtt|srt)$"> Header set Access-Control-Allow-Origin "*" </FilesMatch> </IfModule>
Then you can test the CORS headers here: https://cors-test.codehappy.dev/ by entering the subtitles URL there.
Perhaps this can be of help as well; I’ve uploaded the examplesubs.srt file to a different server (Amazon S3 and one of my other websites) and both are not displaying in Chromecast. The latter is hosted here:
And using your testing tool, it shows it works correctly with CORS:
So, I’m confused now as both the https connection and CORS heading requirements are taken care of, but Chromecast still does not display the subtitles.
unfortunately Chromecast doesn’t support the SRT format. I tried to host your file on our server and it didn’t help. It only started showing the subtitles once I:
* renamed the file to ,vtt extension
* changed the coma decimal separators to dots
* added “WEBVTT” at the start of the file
You can read more about VTT subtitles here: https://foliovision.com/player/advanced/subtitles
I tried to add the subtitles with the application/x-subrip mime type in the Chromecast API too, but then it was just ignored.
I’m not sure about the NginX configuration files, as these are usually part of the /etc folder on the operating system and they consist of multiple files. It’s not like a single .htaccess file placed in the web root.
If you can edit these configuration files, it’s best to download them all and then look for “srt” to figure out where the CORS is being added.
Otherwise I would recommend you to ask your server support about this.