Chromecast is a hardware media streaming adapter developed by Google. It allows you to stream the media content from your computer or mobile devices onto any screen it is connected to, for example a TV screen.
FV Player currently supports Chromecast on desktop and Android devices. On iOS it only works using the Google Home app, so you need to enable it there.
How to set-up Chromecast
Step 1: Plug in your Chromecast device
Plug Chromecast into your TV via HDMI. Then plug the USB power cable from your Chromecast either into an open USB port on your TV, or use the included adapter to plug it into a power outlet.
Step 2: Connect your Chromecast device
Please check if the Chromecast and the device you are using to set up the Chromecast with are both on the same Wi-Fi network.
Step 3: Download the Google Home app
Download the Google Home app to your mobile device or tablet.
Step 4: Set up Chromecast
Note: Please double check if your mobile device/tablet is connected to the same Wi-Fi network that you intend to use with your Chromecast.
- Open the Google Home app
- In the Google Home app, tap Add and then Set up device and then Set up new devices.
- Follow the remaining steps the app shows you.
Set up is successful! You're ready to cast.
How to cast videos with FV Player
- Make sure you have the Enable Chromecast option turned on in Settings -> FV Player.
- Make sure your device is connected to the same network as the Chromecast device.
- Play the video that you want to cast with Chromecast.
- Push the Chromecast button to start casting. (as you can see in the screenshot below)
In some cases, the Chromecast feature in FV Player may not work properly, or at all. We are actively working on removing some of these limitations:
- Chromecast does not work with Stream Loader (the technology to allow signed URLs for HLS streams)
Other limitations are out of our reach:
- There is no API available to use for YouTube videos
- Chromecast can only work with encrypted HLS streams at the price of significantly weaker video protection